You know what pisses me off? When you write up an entire blog post, then it gets completely deleted when you copy paste a photo. I had this whole write up on this movie, and it just vanished like that.
So fuck it, we are doing the cliff notes version of this. So after the cut let’s dive into Detective Conan: The Last Wizard of the Century. Actually, fuck it, there is no cut. Here’s my list.
- This is my favorite movie of the Conan series, and the best out of the “dubbed six” from Funimation
- Wrapping the mystery up in Russian History and the legacy of the Romanov family is a great hook and carries the movie well. Even if real-life history ruins it.
- This is the first movie that has both Ai Haibara and Kaito Kid in a role. While Kaito Kid works well and doesn’t bog down the movie, Haibara feels very much tacked on and just here as window dressing.
- Being a non-canon movie, the Conan and Ran sub-plot doesn’t go anywhere, but it was still well done, and the final scene of the movie is one of the series best.
- As an older movie, the art is hand drawn and still has aged beautifully in comparison to other movies. The music is great and the atmosphere is perfect. They really nailed it with this one.
- I’ll never call the series ‘Case Closed’, it’s a stupid name and Funimation going and Americanizing all the characters is the kind of horseshit from the 4kids era, so shame.
Apologies for the weird format of this dive, but I didn’t want to retype everything after I lost it. Now excuse me while I go get McDonald’s to soothe my unyielding rage.