Oh yeah, we are GOING there.
Welcome back to Don’t @ Me, where I give you a handful of my opinions on everything to do with anime and/or manga. Raw, to the point, straightforward, today I’m giving you eight of my opinions on the Anime Fandom sphere. Get your hate mail ready after the cut!
1. I love how in my short time among the WordPress Anime Blogging sphere, I’ve become known as “The Shinmai Guy.” Well I guess it’s good to be remembered for something right? Thanks for that Yomu!
2. I respect and admire the people who have the courage to put themselves out on Youtube and share their opinions on anime, even if they are ones I don’t agree with. The internet is a lion’s den and it takes strength to last more than a few minutes. But that doesn’t make me want to watch your 50+ minute video essay trying to tie anime to some random personal ideology or whatever pet cause your championing.
3. My favorite anitubers are Gigguk and Sydsnap, both of their channels are full of fun videos that don’t take themselves too seriously. Especially Sydsnap who talks about a bunch of ecchi shit and doesn’t morally grandstand.
4. The Anime Community is going to have to reckon with the fact that as the art form becomes more mainstream popular, more and more people without our years of reconciliation and acceptance of “the weird shit” are going to come in and question/disagree on everything about anime. Difference of opinions is importance, and it’s easy to instinctively go “shield up, red alert!” when it happens. It’s harder to try and listen to what they have to say. Let’s not make the same mistake that video games did.
5. The Anime community since I have returned, both on WordPress and Reddit is probably one of the nicest and most compassionate ones I’ve seen. I’ve made it a personal policy to not directly involve myself (aside from this blog) to protect my sanity, but we seem to be a little corner of light in the vast dark shithole that is the modern internet.
6. If you read my blog and don’t follow ones like Karandi, Yomu, Lynn, Matt, Crow, Irina, Scott and Sean, then 1) holy shit, and 2) give them a look. They’ve been around far longer than me and deserve your attention.
7. I make way too many stupid spelling mistakes on this blog. Like holy fuck do I need to start editing more.
8. Hey Lynn! I will fucking dive back into that worthless, god awful piece of shit show if you want to do a collaboration on it.