Not even standby hell can stop me from this post! Welcome back to Don’t @ Me where, like the people bitching about how Fire Force is “sexist” I rise from the dark corners of the net to give you opinions no one ever asked for. This week we bring home the Shonen “big three” with ten of my opinions on One Piece. Let’s set sail and check it out after the cut.
1. While Dragon Ball is the most famous piece of work Shonen Jump has produced. One Piece is the best piece of work Shonen Jump has produced.
2. Over fifteen years of reading One Piece, I really don’t give a fuck about the day to day arc events anymore, especially since Oda his locked into the same standard arc formula for every single one. Right now I’m more concerned on whether or not Oda is going to be able to stick the landing.
3. Which he will, because Eiichiro Oda is probably the best story teller to come out of Jump since…ever.
4. Either have Jinbe join the crew, or don’t. Stop with this will he, won’t he crap.
5. The story is in desperate need of another female crew member. Nami and Robin are great, but we need a third female to help shake up the crew interactions. Which reminds me.
6. I’m generally “eh” on the crew re-designs after the time skip, but Robin’s was just dumb. She had her own unique style before and now she just feels like a knock-off Nami. Which also reminds me.
7. Eiichiro Oda is a genius and one of the best in his craft around, but holy FUCK does “Nami-body” show up a lot. It’s gotten better in recent years, but “new face with Nami’s body” is pretty much his female girl blueprint.
8. Portgas D. Ace was a strange character, who pretty much showed up for two chapters then proceeded to get killed off, the shock of which came more from the fact that Oda actually killed off a character not in a flashback, then any real attachment to Ace himself. Let’s face it, his entire role in the story was to show up, look hot, then die.
9. Still waiting to see if the Skypeia arc is going to pay off. Still waiting to see if that entire part of the story wasn’t fucking worthless.
10. I got through Nami’s flashback, Robin’s Flashback, the Death of the Merry, all of it without a single tear. But that FUCKING whale in Brook’s flashback? On the ground. On the ground, like a baby.