Welcome back to Don’t @ Me, where like every female character from Parallel Paradise, there are just too many liquids to contain. These week we return to the well of High School DxD and another ten opinions about this amazing series. So buckle up and join me after the cut.
1. It’s been absolutely shocking just how good High School DxD actually is as a show. Like I came back with my expectations FIRMLY in check, expecting to not enjoy it as much as I did, but I’ve been very wrong. It’s excellently paced (most of the time) does more than enough work building up the characters, and is always honest with itself. I thought I would have been blinded by nostalgia, but it really is that good.
2. It’s been said by LH readers that the series becomes more shonen battle focused and the ecchi takes a back seat after the current arc (that season 5 would finish) wraps up. I’m really not worried about that because A) The light novels are probably never going to be fully translated and sold in the west, and B) If we get those volumes adapted, then there will still be tons of ecchi fanservice put in to appease anime fans. They know where their bread is buttered.
3. Did you hear that Issei and Koneko’s Japanese VAs got married? So I guess THE LOLI WINS! THE LOLI WINS!
4. A recent interview has hinted that the next anime adaption of High School DxD may not be a season 5, but instead a movie. I would prefer a twelve episode season myself, but a movie pretty much means more raunchier fanservice and top-tier animation throughout. I’ll be happy with whatever we get though, cause at this point it’s all gravy baby.
5. I’m still 60/40 on High School DxD getting that fifth season/movie/whatever There has been more rumblings about it, but nothing concrete yet. If we do hear something it’ll probably be in October, but it could very well not happen. I’ve made my peace if it doesn’t, but fuck do I hope so.
6. I read yesterday that someone loves High School DxD, but hates the ecchi and the fanservice. Uh dude? What are you watching the show for then? Like the ‘plot’ is good, but if you take away the ‘PLOT’ then it’s pretty much a generic shonen battle series. Come on now.
7. Man do the villains in this show suck, I mean they are just BAD. I never really noticed it on my first run-through of the series, but fuck does it stick out now.
8. High School DxD will probably never have fanservice in terms of To Love-Ru’s ridiculous gags, or the raw sexuality of Valkyrie Drive Mermaid, Seikon no Qwaser, and Shinmai Maou no Testament, but it has what those series don’t: an actual compelling and entertaining story.
9. I wish Kuroka was more present in the anime, she brings a cool personality to the group dynamic that as of now, Irina and Rossweisse don’t really have. Still adore Rossweisse to bloody death though. I love how in anime you can have a total 11/10 like her and she still can’t get a boyfriend, life just isn’t fair sometimes.
10. There is no GIF of Irina from the final ending where she is washing the car with her ass. So fuck it, here’s a link to the ending itself. Go watch it and bask in the second best ending in the series. https://www.zanimoe.com/2018/08/high-school-dxd-hero-ending.html