It’s Monday, which means it is once again time for this! Welcome back to Don’t @ Me, the place where, like Kamille ends up doing to Sicrocco I ram the end of my transforming jet into his stomach and deliver my thoughts and opinions on all things anime and manga. This week I’m going to talk about Gundam SEED Destiny, because frankly I don’t want to do it anywhere else. Let’s get into it after the cut.
1. In following my view of not being negative on the blog, I don’t want to discuss the series here, mostly because there is very little that I can find is good about it. Gundam SEED Destiny is by far one of the worst in the entire franchise, partly because the series was kneecapped by tragic circumstances, and the second was just bad writing. I just think there is nothing to be gained to rip on the series, and frankly I’d rather talk about stuff I do like.
2. However there are a few things that SEED Destiny ends up doing pretty well and in the interest of fairness, I’ll talk about them right now.
3. The Shinn Asuka initial flashback is a great way to start the series, and really sets him apart from Kira and Athrun. This first time we see it, not the fifteen thousands times it’s replayed for us.
4. Shinn vs Kira is a straight up good fight scene, where Shinn actually plays smart, does his homework and beats Kira through sheer skill instead of BS rage/main character powers. I mean, Kira ends up surviving, getting the Strike Freedom and is pretty much invincible afterwards, but hey, this was a good moment.
5. Everything up to the fall of Junius Seven is actually pretty good. Good action, good stakes, good build up. It just shits the bed afterwards.
6. And that’s…about it. Everything else, from the recycled animation (that’s even worse than in SEED), the switch of main characters halfway through, the bullshit pontification about fate and destiny. The ass-pull reveal of LOGOS being behind everything, Shinn just being an angry little twat, the whole thing involving the Lacus lookalike. It’s all just…not good.
7. But hey, that’s Gundam, it’s a long running franchise, and like all of those, it has more than its fair share of clunkers. I just think a lot of the hate that SEED gets comes from Destiny, which again, is locked in an epic duel with Gundam AGE for the title of ‘worst in the series.’
8. Did I already do this post? I swear I did. Eh, here’s some Lunamaria booty.