It’s Monday, I’m thirty-two today, and it’s time for this. Welcome to Don’t @ Me! The place where, like this time over three decades ago, I emerge from the womb to give my thoughts and opinions on the anime and manga industry. Running the gambit today, so let’s get into it!
- I’ve been playing Super Robot Wars V, and while being a good game (that takes every robot plot, puts them in the blender and hits max), I came across the show Cross Ange. It looks like to be an interesting show with lots of PLOT, so I might have to give it a look. I’ve heard mixed things about it, but still, tiddies.
2. Konosuba has gotten a new anime announcement! We don’t know if it is a series or another movie, but any chance to get back into this world is welcome. A lot of the anime that are part of Isekai Quartet, which also is getting a movie, are coming back. Let’s hope that extends to Cautious Hero, I need another season of Ristarte.
3. As expected, people have gotten in a tizzy over Ilulu from the new season of Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid. Not as much as people probably expected thanks to what happened at Kyoto Animation, but still, great to see that people’s sympathy goes only as far as a woman’s cup size.
4. I don’t hate Anime News Network as much as some other people, or at all really. They mostly stick to news releases and their opinion pieces often don’t rattle the cage too much. It’s clear that they lean heavily in one direction, but as long as they don’t carpet-bomb wide swaths of the anime fandom, I have no problem with it. That said, the flippant dismissal they showed Mother of the Goddess’ Dormitory, the first real out and out ecchi anime this year that is actually trying. That annoyed me to no end.
5. And I’ll be fair. The ecchi genre isn’t for anyone, it is 100% a genre that has more misses than hits. It’s subject matter can range from the absurd to the eyebrow raising. There is a lot of trash in there, more than most, but the way some people just lambast is distasteful. Don’t like it? Go nuts, but don’t criticize the hundreds of hard working men and women who slave away to bring smiles to people’s faces. It should be treated with the same respect and dignity as any other genre in anime and manga.
6. If Chainsaw Man releases its anime this year. There is no doubt that it will win Anime of the Year. People go gaga over the hot new shonen series, I mean, they gave it last year to Jujutsu Kaisen, and it just came out. I expect the same thing to happen to this series. Which hey, that’ll piss off the Attack on Titan fanboys, who probably thought this year was a lock for them.
7. And here is to thirty-two years of life! Much of which has been enjoying this wonderful medium of anime. Let’s hope the next thirty-two years are just as good!