It’s Monday, which means it is time for this! Welcome back to Don’t @ Me! The place where, like the ouch. I welcome you to share my views, thoughts and opinions on everything in the manga and anime world. This week we talk about the recent anime news, pour one out for a cancelled show, and then laugh. Let’s get into it after the cut.
- If you didn’t hear the news. The live action Cowboy Bebop has been cancelled, a mere three weeks after it came out. Universal bad ratings and a dramatic drop off in viewership was cited as the reason for the decision. And yeah, that shit checks out.
2. Now, while there has been much grave-dancing over this, some of which I have indulged, I do think it would have been…interesting, to see what would have happened if the creators had a chance to course correct. Let’s not make any mistakes, this was a shit show from the start, with no respect given to the source material. But as someone who wasn’t a fan of the anime, I was curious on what might have happened.
3. Still, I shed no tears over this show. It spat in the face of something so beloved to so many. Written by people who believed they needed to ‘fix’ the show. That level of disregard and disrespect shown to the characters was blatant. It takes more than just having similar sets and costumes to be a good live action show.
4. Because if you want to see a great example of taking a female character and expanding her story for the better. Look at Asuna Yuuki from the recent Sword Art Online movie. That is how you take someone who could have used more depth and do it, without stripping away everything that makes her work.
5. So chalk one another one up on the board for shitty live action anime. And good fucking riddance. Now we wait for One Piece to come out so we can do this entire damn dance again.
6. There has been a bit more buzz around Jobless Reincarnation. I doubt it is going to get any awards for any of the mainstream anime sites (it should), but I am glad people are thinking about it. I just wish the show wasn’t being raked over the coals like Sword Art Online was.