Welcome back to Don’t @ Me where, like the annoyance of the Crunchyroll Anime Awards, I rise from the depths to give you my opinions on everything involving the anime industry. Today however I’m going to talk a little bit about myself, while keeping things always related to anime, maybe. Let’s get into it after the cut.
1. My first anime was, as many with my generation: Dragon Ball Z. I’ll always have a fondness for that show. In many ways I miss watching anime back in my youth, staying up late on Fridays to watch all the shows. I wouldn’t go back to the fansub era though, not a chance in hell.
2. My evolution from ‘The Shinmai Guy’ to ‘The Hentai Guy’ seems like the proper step to make. Expect plenty more of those reviews sprinkled throughout the usual stuff.
3. Byleth was coming to Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. We all knew that was coming, it’s done now. The band-aid’s been ripped off, now hopefully we get some cool third party characters like Master Chief, KOS-MOS, and something for Ninja Gaiden.
4. I don’t like romance focused anime or manga at all, but I do love a good romance in other anime genres. My favorite couples gotta be Rin Tohsaka and Shirou Emiya, and Makise Kurisu and Rintaro Okabe. I also like Hinata Hyuga and Naruto Uzumaki, even though half of the relationship was pretty much shunted off into a movie.
5. On that note, fuck shippers man. Pair off the characters to your heart’s content, just don’t think you can call the shots on an artists work.
6. I’ve made it clear I’ve no love for the Anime YouTube community. While I respect the courage it takes to put yourself on screen. I find most of them to be rambling, self congratulating and frankly a bit too mainstream. Yet despite that, some have been quite fair to the ecchi and harem genres, so tip of my hat to that.
7. Sydsnap is great though. She’s probably the best anituber out there right now. I wish we had more like her.
8. Rapidly becoming more of an anime ass man than an anime tit man. Just how it goes I suppose. Backstory over Plot!
9. I’m really digging the small compact sizes of several of the light novels that I have. They honestly do feel like ‘light novel’s, and they are quite easy to pick up and read. Gonna have a fun time getting through all that “aw jeez” shit in If It’s for My Daughter, I’d even Defeat a Demon Lord though.
10. I get a lot..ALOT of smug self satisfaction that after all the bloody pissing and moaning over The Rising of the Shield Hero, (which is really just a B+ Isekai at best) it’s got two more seasons coming, comfortable light novel and blu-ray sales, and a place in the “Hall of Fame” of Isekai Quartet. Feels REAL good.
11. I’ll be going to Japan in 2021, and I’ll probably have to do an ‘anime detox’ so I don’t take any of my preconceived notions of that country with me. I want to see Japan for what it IS, not what I think it is. Let’s see how that turns out.